Skip to main content

The First Day in SteelCorp


The long beeping sound of the fax machine is monotonous. Though the machine has become a rare sight in any office now a days, but during the late 90s, any office used to be incomplete without a fax machine. (That reminds me, my present day business card also talks of a fax number; I need to check whether the machine actually exists in the office!!)

So, I was quite used to the beeps after I spent around two hours in the Central Office of Steelcorp Limited, a steel trading company having its corporate office in a busy business street of Kolkata. The office was in a two storied building, on the second floor. Narrow corridors leading to the ‘Central Office’. That was my first interview, a call received with the help of my then would-be brother in law, who forwarded my profile to the Head of Human Resources. The head, Mr. Biswas, instructed me to write an essay on “one hour in an office”, extended some pieces of A4 papers and vanished. I was all alone, in an open cubicle, with variety of murmurs and the nagging beeping sound of the facsimile.

“Are you done with it?” Mr. Biswas came back with an ear-touching smile on his face. I was long done with it and was desperately looking for the rest room, by then.  Two glasses of water and a cup of coffee were doing their jobs inside me. Once I came back from the corner, Mr. Biswas was glancing through my essay, the first line of which was about the beeping sound. It seemed, he was not amused. He told me to write an essay on the office, and I concluded something on the fax machine!!

“You will be having the next discussion with Mr. Sarkar, our Head of Operations”. Before he finished, I was following Mr. Biswas towards the office of Mr. Sarkar. I was not sure, how an operations guy is going to quiz me on HR issues (this is one thing which I realized in my life later that it is operations which question an HR guy more than the HR function itself). “Sarkar Saheb, this is the essay this guy has written on ‘an hour in office’”. Mr. Sarkar, a short gentleman with a sharp pair of eyes, almost snatched the paper from Mr. Biswas and started scanning it. I was eagerly looking at his face, the changing exclamatory line on his forehead. “You have written it?” asked Mr. Sarkar. I nodded, coyly. “What do you know about SWOT analysis of a business?” That was an expected question and I asked “can I use the whiteboard for this?” That seemed to have impressed them! It was followed by some more witty questions and may be, some stupid answers.

But, all those stupid answers might had a cutting edge and after about a month, I received my first offer letter from Steelcorp. The offer was enough for me to cherish my dream of starting a career in Human Resources. Thus it started…and seems there is no end. Last 20 years, so many Mr. Sarkar came in the professional radar. So many Mr. Biswas had to be satisfied in professional life. It’s like the game of Road Rash, the moment you under power one motorist, the second seems to emerge from the horizon. There is no end…



Comments

  1. Good one...keep going..there can't be any doubt about your skill and experience as an HR ....the only change happened is now you are at the opposite side of the table....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Suicide Note

Please don’t get perturbed by the title of this article, more than a “suicide note”, it is a note on suicide. I, along with many others, have been deeply moved by the sudden suicide of a famous Bollywood star, in the peak of his career. Questions started cropping in my mind. What and why? News says that he has been undergoing treatment for depression for last few months. Was this suicide an affect of that? No one can answer all these questions. But we can ponder over a single connecting thread over many suicides, “depression”. In our society, depression is a negative term. Once you are in depression, people look at you with the corner of their eyes and general belief is that depression is a symptom of mentally weak people. We are so scared about the societal issues related to depression, that we even hesitate to take professional help. Because our society believes that once depressed, you are either “mental” or “to be mad”. We forget that as my physical health goes throu

Power of Silence

I always wondered in my life whether situations, where someone is apparently trying to hammer you, can be taken in its stride! When you are hit hard, how do you keep your head straight, without feeling fragmented and belittled. These situations happen all around us, not specifically by someone who is superior in power or position to us. The overtaking Uber driver giving a nasty look, the ‘super-power’ boss showing his red eyes, the fellow elevator passenger showing his implicit frustration when it stops at a lower level for you or your life partner showing a subtle sign of disagreement – all these can generate a feeling of tightening the lid on you, thereby giving you a feeling of suffocation and anxiety. And anxiety in any form or the desperate need of venting out is always counterproductive. Situations like these, inevitably prompt the ‘me’ in myself to react, in either explicit or implicit manner. But, does that really help? Yes it helps, only to be in the negative connotati

Papa, I Can’t - the Story of a Burdened Child

We have grown up believing that the student life is the most beautiful phase of life. It is the time when we got introduced to the world and learnt the nuances of practical life. It is the phase when we got best of our buddies, with whom we played, fought and reconciled and then, through the rest of the life, have carried that nostalgia of childhood friendship. I remember, we used to have only two sets of examinations in a year, the mid-term and final-term (half-yearly and annual, in some schools) and rest of the year used to be a fun going to school and colleges. We perhaps, used to look forward to next day, to hit the school. I was so obsessed of going to school that I continued to go even when it was only fifteen days for the board exam to begin and one of my senior teachers had to counsel me, “ beta, there is no class happening now a days and you should study back home. Don’t worry, after fifteen days, you will be back to school for writing exam”. The advice was so comforti